Saturday, December 5, 2009

First Snow and First Sting of a Racist Society

A week of firsts...

So it snowed on Thursday and Joe happened to be working from home that day. Here is a youtube clip of Clarkson at his first sight of the snow, for the most part, he pretty much ignored it, but he does try to bite it (surprise, surprise, the dog would try to bite a great white shark):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xvDDHsz2R4

Today, I took Clarkson to the vet, and there he experienced his first cruel sting of a middle-aged racist woman ;)

Patty (I don't know her name, but I'm sure it was Patty, you just know a Patty when you see a Patty) asked what kind of dog Clarkson was. I replied with my stock "Shiba Inu, he's Japanese, kinda like a smaller Akita." Patty sang his praises and gave him some attention and then she came out with it...

"Am I crazy or is he slant-eyed like a Jap?"

Um, yes. Yes, you are crazy. Now just go away. I giggled awkwardly and hoped she wouldn't asked again. "He's totally slant-eyed, how did that happen?" God make it stop, make it stop, make it stop.

I muttered "haha, I don't know...ha ha."

Clarkson and I had a little talk afterwards about race, society, and generally just life. It was a good talk. His feelings were hurt, but he knows we love him. Ya know, it's tough raising a dog of a different race. Not only do we have to deal with the usual stuff (potty training, chewing, behaviour, etc.), but we must also be decidedly mindful of racial sensitivities. We're white. He's Asian. Someday other dogs are going to notice...

Ah well, we'll cross that bridge when come to it. Until then, we'll continue to shower our Oriental baby with love. Oh shit, Oriental is derogatory...um, until then, we'll continue to shower our Asian-American baby with love.

Finally, click here for the trailer to a movie that I will NEVER be able to see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaS37E3gKOU

1 comment:

  1. Clarkson is super cute as usual. I was a little nervous with him so close to the edge though. OMG that movie trailer looked amazing. I have to admit, I got a little teary eyed. Can't wait to see the Jiggins family at the Strogan-off!

    ReplyDelete